Wednesday, January 27, 2016

FIFTH GRADE . . . Van Gogh inspiration

"Vincent van Gogh is an incredible artist who is identified by his beautiful and swift strokes. My favorite painting of his is "Starry Night!" - Bella

This week our sketchpad assignment was to draw like Vincent van Gogh. Some students created a drawing based on one of his well known paintings and others focused on an original subject matter, but drew it with the short directional strokes most typical of a Vincent van Gogh.

Below each image is the artist statement as told to the class by the fifth grade artists. You are welcome to add comments to our artists at the bottom of this post. They would love to hear from you! Enjoy!!


"I drew 'Starry Night' because I like the swirls of the wind and the cypress tree." - Priya

"I drew the Ranney clock tower. I used swirls and short strokes like Vincent van Gogh." - Colette

"I loved doing this drawing. I love the swirls, the trees, the moon and the wind. The wind is amazing." - Nick

"Instead of doing 'Starry Night,' I did 'City Night' with city buildings in the place of Vincent van Gogh's village. The gray in the sky represents the pollution of the city." - Ankush

"I drew an ocean with shells and fish swimming" -  Michael
" I drew the water and a sunset in the background. Like van Gogh, I created the ocean as lines." - Luke

"I found a picture of a poppy field and drew it like van Gogh." - Andrew 

"I noticed how van Gogh made his swirls and filled my flower with swirls." - Emma



5 comments:

  1. Van Gogh is one of my favorite artists, too! I love all of the different ways the students used his style of short strokes and swirls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The 5th graders always surprise me with how they interpret the assignment. How creative they can be!!!

      Delete
  2. Van Gogh is a favorite in our house too. These are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love looking at all the art work that you display, what talent you inspire in the kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Vincent van Gogh has inspired me for years! It is a natural to want to share his vision with my students. Just look at the movement Luke created on the page with his colorful and flowing lines. Beautiful!!!

      Delete

Thank you for your thoughts!
Barbara Levine
Ranney Lower School Art